Low Vision Apps
In the days before modern technology, people with low vision needed to rely on others to read a letter or walk an unfamiliar route.
Technology has changed this dynamic. Today, people with limited vision can read their mail, easily identify colors and navigate by using helpful apps.
If you or a loved one suffers from low vision, you're not alone. Our dedicated Rancho Mirage low vision eye doctors are here to help you maximize your remaining vision by providing the optimal tools, aids and devices for your needs.
Low Vision Apps That Work Wonders
At Low Vision Center At Rancho Mirage Eye Care Optometry we’ve compiled a list of some of the top low vision apps to help you explore the world around you.
- NavCog – An app similar to GPS, but with turn-by-turn guidance specifically designed for people with visual impairments. Whether you're indoors or outdoors, this navigation app will voice your precise location, the direction you're facing and other crucial information about your surroundings.
- Seeing AI — This app enables your phone's camera to describe the world around you. Not only can this app read documents, but it can also identify friends and objects as well. It will even describe photos and documents.
- EyeNote – With this app, you'll be able to scan paper currency and see its value so you can know what amount you’re giving or receiving.
- Be My Eyes — This enables visually impaired individuals to connect with sighted volunteers through live video chat. As a result, volunteers can assist with daily tasks such as reading food labels and finding misplaced items.
- TapTapSee – This allows you to identify objects without the need for sighted assistance. Use the app to take a picture of an object, and it will tell you exactly what the item is.
- Speechify – This popular app allows you to hold your phone's camera over any text you wish to read and listen to it aloud.
If you’re not on the “app” side of things, there are many other technological alternatives that may pique your interest. Continue reading to learn more.
What Are Low Vision Aids and Devices?
Just as with the apps mentioned above, low vision aids and devices are designed to allow people with vision loss to continue to do the things they love, whether working at a computer, engaging in favorite hobbies, recognizing faces, and even driving.
Popular vision aids include screen readers, video magnifiers, portable electronic magnifiers and specialized glasses. These include E-scoop glasses, bioptic telescopic glasses, telemicroscope glasses, prismatic reading glasses, side-vision awareness glasses, and absorptive lenses.
Low Vision Tools, Aids and Glasses at Low Vision Center At Rancho Mirage Eye Care Optometry
With low vision apps and many low vision devices to choose from, you’ll have more freedom to live more independently and live life to the fullest.
Contact Low Vision Center At Rancho Mirage Eye Care Optometry to discover which low vision aids, devices, glasses, and apps can best meet your needs and lifestyle.
Our practice serves patients from Palm Springs, Palm Desert, La Quinta, and Indio, California and surrounding communities.